Friday, July 2, 2010

If you were born in the 70s or 80s in Singapore...

 Hi ladies!

Another non-polish post today. The sun has not been shining and my nails look terrible. I was eating clams and opening them with my nails. I hear the gasps of horror. But I had to. My mom still bites her nails so I'm the only one who can actually open them for her. *sigh* The things I do.........

Anyway, I read this and agreed with all of the points below. Except I think this little stroll down memory lane will be limited to people who grew up in Singapore. I did not write this. I claim no credit. It was on one of those Facebook groups. Anyway, enjoy this. Enjoy the walk or if you understand nothing, hopefully this will give you some insight into the Singaporean mind. If you really want to know, ask away in the comments box. I am doing this because it is 3am here, and I cannot sleep :( Brackets are my thoughts)

1. You grew up watching He-man, MASK,Transformers, Silver Hawk and Mickey Mouse. Not to forget, Ninja turtles, My Little Pony and Smurfs too. (Think everyone else in the world too!)

2. You grew up brushing your teeth with a mug in Primary school during recess time. You will squat by a drain with all your classmates beside you,and brush your teeth with a coloured mug. The teachers said you must brush each side 10 times too. (Mine was red. The bristles kept falling out.)

3. You know what SBC stands for. (Singapore Broadcasting Cooperation
. *ding*)
4. You pay 40 cents for Chocolate or Strawberry MILK every week in class. (I chose strawberry.)

5. You watch a very popular Malay dubbed Japanese drama on RTM1 about schoolgirls who possess powerful skills in volleyball called Meoro Attack. (I didn't.)

6. You find your friends with pagers and handphones cool in Secondary school. (My pager was white with blue snowflakes and pink hearts. I was cool.)

7. SBS buses used to be non-air conditioned. The bus seats are made of wood and the cushion is red. The big red bell gives a loud BEEP! when pressed. There are colourful tickets for TIBS buses. The conductor will check for tickets by using a tool which punches a hole in the ticket. (Yellow tickets that we all folded into hearts <3)

8. Envelopes given to us to donate to Sharity Elephant every Children's Day. (I never gave anything. I'm making up for it now)

9. You've probably read Young Generation magazine. You know who's Vinny the little vampire and Acai the constable. (Yes, and looking back, it was journalistic crap. Wouldn't let my bird poo on it. Give me Dandy or Beano anyday. Yes, I did grow up reading that. Cos my neighbour is from Ireland and his grandma posted comics to him once a month. We all waited by the postbox. Young and hopeful.)

10. You were there when they first introduced MRT here. You went for the first ride with your parents and you would kneel on the seat to see the scenery. (Orange seats!)

11. Movie tickets used to cost only $3.50. (I only remember $5)

12. Gals are fascinated by Strawberry Short Cakeand Barbie Dolls. (Still am. Both for different reasons.)

13. Class monitors and prefects loved to say "You talk some more, I write your name ah!"( i was a prefect.)

14. You longed to buy titbits called Kaka (20cents per pack), and Ding Dang (50 cents per box),that had a toy in it and it changes every week not forgetting the15 cents animal crackers and the ring pop, where the lollipop is the diamond on the ring. (I ate Beebee. Not the rest of that crap)

15. You watched TV2 (also known as Channel 10)cartoons because Channel 5 never had enough cartoons for you. (Yes.)

16. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Three Investigators, Famous Five and Secret Seven are probably the thickest story books you ever thought you have read. Even Sweet Valley High and Mallory Towers. (NO NANCY DREW FOR ME!)

17. KFC used to be a high class restaurant that serve food in plates and let you use metal forks and knives. (They still do in Thailand I think.)

18. The most vulgar thing you said was asshole and idiot and THE MOST EXTREME WAS 'super white'...you just couldn't bring yourself to say the hokkien relative.

19. Catching was the IN thing and ‘twist’ as the magic word. (Twist.)

20. Your English workbooks was made of some damn poor quality paper that was smooth and yellow. (And if you made a mistake and used a rubber, you would have a hole in your workbook.)

21. CDIS were your best friend. (YES! A thousand times yes.)

22. Your friends considered you lucky and rich if your parents gave you $3 or more for pocket money everyday. ( I only got a dollar. But then again, noodles was like 30cents.)

23. Waterbottles were slinged around your neck and a must everywhere you go. (Watch me strut. Yeah.)

24. Boys loved to play soccer with small plasticballs in the basketball court. (And I likee to watch! ^^)

25. Teng-teng, five stones, chapteh, hentam bola and zero point were all the rage with the girls and boys too... (Not me. I caught butterflies, lizards and frogs.)

26. Science was fun with the balsam and the angsana being the most important plants of our lives, guppies and swordtail being the most important fish. (I didn't like science. Boring!)

27. Who can forget Ahmad, Bala, Sumei and John, eternalized in our minds from the textbooks. Even Mr Wollie & Mr. Yakki. What abt Miss Lala??? And Zaki and Tini in Malay Textbooks? (Yes. They were the pillars of our community.

28. We carry out experiments of our own to get ourself badges for being a Young Zoologist /Botanist / Astronomer… etc. ( I have a badge myself. Where it is, is another story.)

29. Every Children's day and National day you either get pins or pens with 'Happy Children's Day1987' or dumb files with 'Happy National Day 1988'. (Sigh. So true. Why couldn't they just give us candy?)

30. In Primary six you had to play buddy for the younger kids like big sister and brother. ( I was a perfect. So yeah.)

31. We wear BM2000, BATA, or Pallas shoes. (And they were white. And we had shoe whitener. Which smelt gross. I never 'whitened' my shoes so they were a strange shade of gray.)

32. Your form teacher taught you Maths, Science and English. (Thanks Madam Saridah!)

33. The worksheets were made of brown rough paper of poor quality. (No pencils could be used. Pen only.)

34. You see Wee Kim Wee's face in the school hall. (RIP Mr Wee)

35. Collecting and battling erasers was a pastime for boys. (AND girls.)

Hope you enjoyed it as much as me! And my smartass comments :P

I'm still out collecting polish for my giveaway. Sadly, a shop I normally go to has closed down! >,< So I'm doing an island wide search... this weekend. :)

Thanks all and have a great one!

1 comment:

jaljen said...

A fascinating insight into a different world and time.